Wednesday, November 25, 2009

A Thanksgiving Dinner to Remember....or Not

So Sunday was supposed to be the 'big day'. This is when my roommate and I had planned our Thanksgiving dinner and it was also the first time many of our friends were going to see our new apartment. I wasn't too worried when Saturday night came and I felt a cold coming on. After all, if it was just a cold, I could plow through the next day without a problem. Take a little Lemsip and be on my merry way. Well.....it wasn't a cold. It was the flu.

I woke up at 8 to run some errands in preparation for the day and by the time I made it to the kitchen, I was exhausted. Something was wrong. I felt horrible; my whole body hurt, I felt hot and generally not well. And my energy level was a -1 on a scale of 1-10. So I called off school for the next day, took some allergy medication to help me go back to sleep and was out like a light by 9 and I slept until three. Then stayed in bed for another hour and a half because I didn't have the energy to do anything else. I did however, get out of bed when I knew my friend Ahmad was coming bearing a strawberry milkshake and a thermometer! I don't know why, but I always crave strawberry milkshakes when I'm sick. After making some Lemsip in the kitchen, I quickly realized I didn't have enough energy left to stand so I went and crashed on the couch. And then......Ahmad came with my strawberry milkshake!!! I took my temperature, finished off the milkshake and went back to my bed. People would start arriving soon and I hadn't showered, I was in my pajamas and I felt like absolute crap.

When Mya and Marley came, they offered to get me some medicine from the pharmacy which greatly helped. Unfortunately, the Thanksgiving dinner wasn't rescheduled so I didn't get to enjoy it one bit. I did however, hear everyone having fun while I was in bed watching tv shows on my laptop. Good times? Not so much. Awkward? Yes. But thanks to Ahmad, Mya and Marley, I had stuff to make me feel better. Ahmad even took me to pay my phone bill the next day, which I needed to do because my phone had been turned off. Thank goodness for friends who are willing to go out of their way when you need them the most. Maybe tomorrow (the real Thanksgiving) will prove to be a more successful and fun one.

No comments:

Post a Comment