Saturday, August 15, 2009

Creeeepy Taxi Driver

Ok, generally taxi drivers here are pretty cool so I don't mean to diss all taxi drivers by any means. But there was an especially creepy taxi driver yesterday who was following Gretchen and I and kept on stopping on the side of the road for us. We were walking up a fairly steep hill getting a nice little workout and had no intention of getting a taxi, even if I did bruise my foot and we looked all out of breath.
After he had been following us for about ten minutes and stopped for the third time, I went over to him and said in Arabic 'I don't want a taxi, get away from me!' Ah...it's nice to have friends to teach you useful phrases like that...luckily it didn't get to the point where I needed to say 'Ismah walla, bahshii ijrii fii teezak' 'listen I swear, I'm going to kick your ass' But it's good to know I have a nice arsenal of words to get the point across :) Now time to give Gretchen a language lesson....

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous8/19/2009

    That is not funny, but your spiel to him would have been frickin' HILARIOUS! As in previous posts....there are creeps everywhere. Creepiness crosses all international datelines and borders, and unfortunately, doesn't need a passport. I was kind of "followed" last night after the game by a cretin of some sort...making me extremely nervous, since I was carrying the money bags in my purse and the laptop on the other arm....fortunately for me, there were three other women walking into the parking garage with me and two that hopped into the elevator with me as well. Detroit ain't so nice at 11:30 p.m. either! Ha ha! Smooch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. For real, being in Detroit alone at 11:30 walking around with a laptop and a moneybag! Whew...thanks goodness for other women being there just in case :) Creepiness does cross all international datelines and borders for sure! Sigh....I think I've mastered the 'listen I swear I'm going to kick your a**' so it's ready shall I need it!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. always cool to hear forigners getting angry and using some .... in arabic
    that was nice )

    ReplyDelete